Chameleon is an extremely user-friendly multipurpose cartridge that can be used without opening the computer. It is just plugged to the expansion port of the C64. It can also be operated as a stand-alone unit (since it's basically an FPGA computer like the C-One in a C64 cartridge case), replacing the computer, the floppy drive and the heavy power supply. A docking station providing 4 joystick ports and connectors for an Amiga or C-64 keyboard is available.
- Altera FPGA with 24624 LEs
- 16MiB Flash Memory, 32MiB RAM
- VGA connector
- MMC/SD card slot
- Connectors for PS/2 mouse, PS/2 keyboard and IEC bus
- Battery-backed real time clock (RTC)
- IR receiver for CDTV remote control.
- Connector for RR-Net (RR-MK2 needs a patch to work in standalone mode on Chameleon V1).
- USB link to a PC for debugging and data transfer.
Turbo Chameleon 64 FPGA Core
- In cartridge mode the C64 core can be used with a european (PAL-G) or the "new" american 65-cycle (NTSC-M) C64. The "old" american 64-Cycle C64 and the argentinian "Drean" (PAL-N) C64 can not be used.
- In standalone mode both a PAL-G or NTSC-M C64 can be emulated
- VGA-output with 60 Hz refresh rate or more.
- Turbo function with full 6510 processor compatibility (incl. illegal opcodes). For the first time, a C64 accelerator that does not use a 16-bit processor, but an accelerated 6510. (see Benchmarks)
- REU (memory expansion) with up to 16 MiB RAM.
- GEORAM (memory expansion) with up to 4 MiB RAM.
- MMC/SD card slot with MMC64 compatibility and optional MMC64 ROM emulation.
- Full 1541-emulation (2 Drives)
- supports D64 and G64 files
- SID emulation with filters (Two SIDs are emulated with selectable filter characteristics and base address of 2nd SID).
- PS/2 mouse support (emulation of 1351 and Micromys).
- PS/2 keyboard support (Joystick emulation available on numeric keypad).
- Freezer (compatible with Retro Replay). ROMs can be stored in onboard flash or read from MMC card (as .crt or binary files).
- Emulation of the following utility and game cartridges is available: 8 or 16 KByte (EP)ROM cartridges, Simons' Basic, Ocean type 1, FunPlay, Super Games, Epyx Fastload, Westermann Learning, C64 Game System (system 3), Warpspeed, Dinamic, Zaxxon, Magic Desk, Comal-80, Ross, Mikro Assembler, StarDos, EasyFlash, Prophet-64, Mach-5, PageFox, Business Basic (S'More).
- Emulation of the following freezer cartridges is available: Action Replay, Retro Replay, Final Cartridge 3, Expert Cartridge, KCS Power Cartridge, SuperSnapshot 5, Capture.
- Chameleon Beta-9h release (January 11th 2019): Combined core, menu and ChaCo update including manual (12 MBytes, includes automatic updater for Windows and ChaCo versions for Win32 and Linux64) (what's new)
- The Chameleon user manual from the above release.
- Deutsche Übersetzung des aktuellen Chameleon Benutzerhandbuchs.
- Docking station details
- Turbo Mode Benchmarks
- The Chameleon programming manual from the above release.
- Header files defining a lot of constants related to the chameleon hardware can be found in the devel directory of the latest release archive
- Programs from the Chameleon Test Repository may serve as examples
- RTC example by Paul Förster
- The Chameleon core development manual
- USB Protocol Documentation is available in the Chaco repository. Also contains details on the flash memory layout.
- USB Library and Tools Source is available as well
- icomp forum - sign up here to get in touch with the developers and other Chameleon users. Since all developers read this, it is also the preferred way to report bugs.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions not answered in the available documents.
Here are some Chameleon related projects that we know of. Please notice that all of these are created and maintained by other Chameleon users, which means that Individual Computers does (and can) not provide any support for them.
- corei64 offers a 3D printed case for the docking station (variant without openings for the keyboard ports)
When installing a core, make sure to use the right one for your hardware.
Please notice that not all cores have been ported to the second version of the Chameleon yet. We are tracking the progress in this Forum Thread
We are offering special deals for core authors - please get in touch!
- Atarixlfpga (source) is an Atari800XL core, ported by Mark Watson
- Chameleon VIC20 is a Commodore VIC20 core created by Peter Wendrich using software by Individual Computers.
- ZX-One is a Sinclair Spectrum FPGA core which has been ported to the Chameleon hardware by Alessandro Dorigatti.
- MiniMig is an Amiga FPGA core which also has been ported to the Chameleon hardware.
- Alastair M. Robinson ported the Sega Genesis FPGAgen core
- Alastair M. Robinson ported the PACE cores Pacman, Pengo and Moon Patrol.
- Hardware test core by Peter Wendrich, which is also provided as an examples in the public github repository.
- Conway's Game of Life by Peter Wendrich, which is one of the examples in the public github repository.
- Chameleon Pong is a simple FPGA starter project which has been created by Alastair M.Robinson (source available on github).
a few different tools are available in the Chaco repository:
- updater - update program from the release packages
- chacocmd - original commandline USB client
- Chaco - original GUI USB client
- chshot - make screenshot from C64 screen over USB
- chcodenet - a "codenet" clone that works over USB
- chtransfer - port of "EasyTransfer" by Skoe (GUI USB client)
- chxfer - port of "ef3xfer" by Skoe
- chmon - port of "netmon" by Hannenz
- chusb - port of "ef3usb" by Tom-Cat
- chmount - commandline tool to send disk images to chameleon ram (used for the testbench)
- Qchaco is "a frontend running chacocmd with parameters to upload a file, a diskimage or flash it with new firmware."
- Chameleon Server is "a utility [...] that allows you to send C64 prg files directly to the machine via USB."
- Chameleon CC65 is "a scratchpad application that uses the CC65 compiler to compile C language programs that can then be sent directly to the C64 over USB"
- Ultimate1541 Sid Remote 1.1 is a remote SID player application
Listing software that requires, or supports, one or another special feature only available on "modern" hardware and/or emulators such as Chameleon or VICE.
- bluREU by Crest
- NUVIEmaker v0.1e by Crest
- Limon REU wave player v2 v3.0d by Data
- REU Wave Player v1 (PoC) by groepaz
- GeoCham64RTC by darkvision is an autostart utility to set the GEOS clock from the chamelon RTC.
Only Games that are designed to run on a faster CPU - or happen to run without undesirable side effects - are listed here, ie enabling the turbo mode will not just make them run faster as a whole, but the game will maintain a higher framerate and/or run smoother, or have other benefits such as quicker depacking or screen flipping. Most of these will not detect the chameleon and enable the turbo-mode automatically, so you will have to configure it manually.
- 3D-Pool (uses $d030 bit, works without) - runs faster as a whole, but remains playable
- Alleykat (uses $d030 bit, use 2MHz, disable "Turbo IEC sensitive") - adds more sprites to the Katerkillar, more bullets on screen, more effects on the title screen
- Asteroids Emulator (C64 Version) (uses $d030 bit)
- Bruce Lee II (use $d030 bit) - faster levels loading
- Castlevania (use $d030 bit)
- Elite 128 by Uz (uses $d030 bit, works without) - increased framerate
- Grubz by Singular (use $d030 bit)
- Ferrari Formula One (use $d030 bit)
- Flight Simulator II (with patch published by "Commodore Disk User Magazine") (use $d030 bit) - patch allows to switch between normal and fast mode, the latter increases the frame rate
- Grand Prix Circuit (use $d030 bit)
- Gunfright (for c64 - v1.10) (use $d030 bit)
- Gunship (use $d030 bit) - speed increase
- Intensity (use $d030 bit)
- Knight Lore (use $d030 bit) - quicker screen flipping
- Last Ninja - quicker screen flipping
- Mega Apocalypse (use $d030 bit)
- Morpheus (use $d030 bit) - more Morphai
- Newcomer (use $d030 bit) - faster depacking
- Paradroid Metal Edition (Heavy Metal Paradroid) (use $d030 bit) - smoother scrolling
- Paradroid Redux (use $d030 bit) - smoother scrolling
- Pentagram (for c64 - v1.30) (use $d030 bit) - quicker screen flipping
- Project Stealth Fighter (use $d030 bit) - higher framerate
- Prince of Persia (use $d030 bit) - higher framerate
- Slipstream by Bauknecht - higher framerate
- Stratton (use $d030 bit): faster switch from attract mode to play mode
- Super Bread Box (the full game, not the 16kb cartridge) (use $d030 bit) - increased performance
- Test Drive 2 (use $d030 bit) - higher framerate
- Thrust Gold by The Dreams (use $d030 bit) - more accurate gravity calculations
- Thunderchopper (use $d030 bit)
- Up Periscope (use $d030 bit)
- Uridium+ (use $d030 bit) - more bullets, higher to speed, more background stars
- Xenophobe (only d64 version) (use $d030 bit)
- Individual Computers' Shop (selected Products)